Super Bowl LIII is approaching. So naturally, at Goods Unite Us we were curious about the politics of the competing teams (and the rest of the league)
The NFL itself has a campaign finance reform (CFR) score of -41 (which isn’t good), with a distribution that’s nearly split (but not quite): 51% Republican and 49% Democrat.
In honor of the Super Bowl, we compiled a list showing the political giving of some of the NFL’s other teams, ranked from best CFR score to worst.
And the winner is…
- Miami Dolphins: CFR Score = 96. The Dolphins aren’t in the Super Bowl. But they win our trophy! The Dolphins and their senior employees contribute a very low level of money, and 92% of that is to Democrats, which leaves 8% to Republicans. Why is this good if you support campaign finance reform? Because they don’t donate a lot. And past voting data overwhelmingly supports the fact that Democrats tend to favor getting corporate money out of politics (which is our mission at Goods Unite Us).
- Minnesota Vikings: CFR Score = 74. Their contribution level is low, and the split is 99% Democratic and 1% Republican.
- Philadelphia Eagles: CFR Score = 69. The Eagles and their senior employees contribute a medium level of money, and 96% of that money goes to Democrats.
- Pittsburgh Steelers: CFR Score = 67. The Steelers and their senior employees contribute a medium level of money to politicians and PACs. The distribution is 94% Democratic and 7% Republican.
- Buffalo Bills: CFR Score = -34. The Bills and their senior employees contribute an overall level that’s medium and 59% goes to Republicans.
- Kansas City Chiefs: CFR Score = -35. The Chiefs and their senior employees don’t contribute a lot of money, but 85% of that money goes to Republicans and 15% to Democrats.
- New York Jets: CFR Score = -43. The Jets and their senior employees contribute a low level of money to politics, and 83% goes to Republicans.
- Indianapolis Colts: CFR Score = -52. The Colts and their senior employees give a low level of money, and 92% of that money goes to Republican politicians and PACs.
- New England Patriots: CFR Score = -53. The Pats and their senior employees contribute a medium level of money to politics, with a distribution that is 78% Republican and 22% Democrat.
- Los Angeles Chargers: CFR Score = -57. Though they hail from a Democrat-leaning state, the Chargers and their senior employees donate overwhelming (97%) to Republicans.